Tuesday, January 16, 2007

a part of all that



Have you ever had one of those days where you opted to take the long way home? Today was one of those days for me. Choosing the alternate route allowed me to walk with the sunset.

Dar Williams sings a beautiful line in her song "After All"

The sun rose with so many colors it nearly broke my heart
It worked me over like a work of art
And I was a part of all that


It is an interesting idea to feel a part of something. The "something" piece can vary i.e. a relationship, a community, the universe. I love the notion of being a part of something so much larger than myself that I can almost observe it from a distance. No matter how small I feel sometimes, I am still an important part of the whole.

Maybe my spirit is a part of the sunset I saw today.

And it is a part of me...

2 comments:

Mina said...

I was just going to say... perhaps you were a part of the beauty of that sunset tonight. But you wrote that yourself, and beat me to it.
Isn't it interesting how a sunset and a sunrise can both have so many colors? How do we know the difference? Perhaps there isn't one?

Myriad said...

i thought of you yesterday when i saw the sunset. it was vivid and vibrant and i almost cried from its overwhelming beauty. it's how i feel when i hang out with you!